UK: Diageo to expand Scotch whisky capacity
Diageo to expand Scotch whisky capacity
Diageo is to expand its Scotch whisky production capacity as part of a GBP20m (US$31.8m) investment in its facilities.
Diageo will spend around GBP10m to expand production at its existing distilleries in the Speyside region of Scotland over the next three years. The group said that its investment will expand total production capacity by 10m litres of spirit alcohol per year, which is equivalent to the capacity of its recently-opened Roseisle distillery.
The move comes as Scotch whisky is enjoying growing demand around the world. In 2010, Scotch whisky exports rose by 10% in value to reach GBP3.45bn for the first time, according to the Scotch Whisky Association.
"Scotch whisky has never been more popular around the world," said Diageo's malt distilling director, Brian Higgs.
"This announcement is another demonstration of our confidence in and commitment to the future of Scotland and Scotch," said the Johnnie Walker distiller's MD for Scotland, Bryan Donaghey. "Over the past six financial years, Diageo has invested around GBP600m in its business in Scotland."
In addition to the GBP10m capacity investment, Diageo said that it plans to spend GBP9.5m to upgrade an existing bio-plant at its Dailuaine distillery complex in Speyside. The company has submitted a planning application to the local council.
Ten years on and the legacy of Pernod Ricard and Diageo's carve-up of Seagram is still being felt....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas....
The Scotch Whisky Association has secured a temporary injunction in India against two companies accused of passing off their local whisky as Scotch....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- Diageo names Javier Ferran as new chairman
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends