UK: Diageo to double Glen Ord distillery capacity
Diageo hopes to double capacity at its Glen Ord distillery
Diageo has announced plans to double capacity at one of its Scotch whisky distilleries as part of an overall programme of investment in its Scottish facilities.
The company, which unveiled a US$1.5bn cash injection in its Scotch operations in June, said earlier today that it is set to submit a planning application to up production at the Glen Ord distillery, near Muir of Ord. The application will be delivered later this week to Highland Council.
A further ten washbacks and six copper stills will result in a doubling of production capabilities at the distillery, Diageo said, with annual production rising to 10m litres of alcohol per annum from the current 5m litres.
“Over the next few months, we will be bringing forward a number of planning applications to increase capacity at our existing distilleries,” said Brian Higgs, Diageo’s director of malt distilling. “The Glen Ord expansion is an important part of that programme.”
The company's US$1.5bn investment – spread over the next five years – is also set to include the construction of a “major” new distillery. Two years ago, it started production at its GBP40m (US$63.4m) distillery in Roseisle near Elgin.
Reports today claiming that Diageo's public offer to up its stake in United Spirits is doomed to failure should be taken in some sort of context....
In the second part of this analysis of the European Union's review of its strategy to combat alcohol harm across the region, EurActiv details the issues that have to be considered....
The third and final part of EurActiv's analysis of the European Union's alcohol harm reduction strategy focuses on the different positions being taken on different issues in different regions....
Drinks companies stand to benefit as the global travel retail market continues to expand, buoyed by millions of new passengers from developing economies, according to a new just-drinks/IWSR report....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research