VIETNAM: Diageo teams up with HALICO in Vietnam
Diageo has lined up a joint venture to up its presence in the Vietnam spirits market.
The drinks giant confirmed to just-drinks today (7 February) that it has signed a memorandum of understanding with Hanoi Liquor Joint Stock Company (HALICO) to handle product development, manufacturing, marketing and sales and distribution of its existing and future products in the country.
The deal was signed late last month, Diageo said, and will see HALICO benefit by utilising Diageo's distribution system around the world.
The leading spirits company in Vietnam, accounting for 60% of the country's local branded spirits market, HALICO is majority-owned by Hanoi Beer Alcohol Beverage Corporation (HABECO).
"Vietnam is a fast growing and dynamic market," said Diageo Indochina's general manager, Sam Fischer. "We look forward to working together with strong and knowledgable partners in HALICO and HABECO."
Ho Van Hai, a director at HALICO, added: "The local spirits industry would be able to introduce to consumers of international markets through Diageo's global distribution system."
Financial details surrounding the joint venture were not disclosed.
Last week, the UK government published a consultation document which many believe to be the prelude to tighter legislation on alcoholic drinks. In this month's Just the Answer interview, Jeremy Beadle...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Diageo has moved to distance itself from a viral Internet advert for its Guinness beer brand....
Diageo is rolling-out a new marketing programme for its Smirnoff vodka brand in the UK....
Vinmonopolet has posted a slight lift in sales for the first six months of this year....
Diageo has increased its stake in premium Chinese white spirits company Sichuan Chengdu Quanxing Group....
Independent Brewers United has extended the deadline for its tender offer to acquire Pyramid Breweries by 48 hours....
Embodi, a non-alcoholic beverage that provides the health benefits of red wine without the alcohol, is launching in the US....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015