AFRICA: Diageo targets spirits growth with MD appointment
Diageo is hoping for great things from its spirits brands in Africa
Diageo has created the new position of managing director of Africa spirits transformation, and appointed the MD of its Brandhouse JV in South Africa to assume the role.
The company confirmed late today (14 March) that Gerald Mahinda, who has held the MD post at Brandhouse since 2009, will move to take up the post. Mahinda will be charged with “embedding optimum supply, sales and marketing solutions in key markets for spirits”, Diageo said.
“During his three years as MD, Gerald has led Brandhouse to gain share in beer and spirits resulting in the business becoming the second largest beverage alcohol company in South Africa”, said Nick Blazquez, Diageo’s president for Africa, Turkey, Russia & Eastern Europe.
Mahinda will be replaced at Brandhouse by Jeff Milliken, who has spent the last five years heading up Diageo’s businesses in Venezuela and Colombia.
The two changes take effect from 1 July.
Brandhouse was set up in 2004, when Diageo, Heineken and Namibian Breweries teamed up to challenge SABMiller in South Africa’s beer market, while also serving as a vehicle for Diageo’s spirit brands in the country.
Diageo and Pernod Ricard have teamed up with other Scotch whisky makers to start twice-weekly shipments from Speyside by train....
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo silent on United Spirits job losses
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Wild Geese gets Australian nod in Pernod legal row
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends