AFRICA: Diageo targets spirits growth with MD appointment
Diageo is hoping for great things from its spirits brands in Africa
Diageo has created the new position of managing director of Africa spirits transformation, and appointed the MD of its Brandhouse JV in South Africa to assume the role.
The company confirmed late today (14 March) that Gerald Mahinda, who has held the MD post at Brandhouse since 2009, will move to take up the post. Mahinda will be charged with “embedding optimum supply, sales and marketing solutions in key markets for spirits”, Diageo said.
“During his three years as MD, Gerald has led Brandhouse to gain share in beer and spirits resulting in the business becoming the second largest beverage alcohol company in South Africa”, said Nick Blazquez, Diageo’s president for Africa, Turkey, Russia & Eastern Europe.
Mahinda will be replaced at Brandhouse by Jeff Milliken, who has spent the last five years heading up Diageo’s businesses in Venezuela and Colombia.
The two changes take effect from 1 July.
Brandhouse was set up in 2004, when Diageo, Heineken and Namibian Breweries teamed up to challenge SABMiller in South Africa’s beer market, while also serving as a vehicle for Diageo’s spirit brands in the country.
Diageo and Pernod Ricard have teamed up with other Scotch whisky makers to start twice-weekly shipments from Speyside by train....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Brewers of Europe recruits communications director
- US drives Cognac export turnaround - figures
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research