UK: Diageo sues Vodkat spirits brand
Diageo has filed a lawsuit against the UK-based Vodkat spirits brand, accusing it of breaking EU rules.
Diageo, owner of Smirnoff, said today (8 September) that it had filed legal action against Vodkat owner Intercontinental Brands.
It has accused the group of passing Vodkat off as vodka, in "breach of regulations on the definition, description, presentation, labelling and the protection of geographical indications of spirit drinks".
New EU regulations on spirit drinks carry strict definitions for vodka, as well as other spirits. Diageo's suit may be viewed as test case for the new rules.
Vodkat's UK website describes the drink as "a premium vodka blend spirit mix".
Intercontinental Brands, based in Harrogate, told just-drinks today that it "would be defending the allegations vigorously".
To say that Ketil Eriksen had to hit the ground running when he became CEO of Absolut six months ago would be an understatement. Overseeing a massive reorganisation and dealing with the effects of the...
Recent results suggest all spirits companies are feeling the effects of the downturn but some are better equipped for long-term growth than others. Jeremy Cunnington of Euromonitor International asses...
Scottish microbrewer BrewDog has emerged unscathed from a lengthy battle with the drinks industry's self-regulatory body to buck bad times for the UK beer market....
Asif Adil, managing director of Diageo India, has left the company and will be replaced by Roland Abella, the drinks giant has said....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Corby Distilleries has updated its representation agreements with the SPI Group, C&C International and Beam Global Spirits & Wine in Canada....
Belvédère Duty Free has given control of its duty-free business in the US and Latin America to sister company, Imperial Brands....
Diageo is to cut 150 jobs in North America as part of a cost savings plan in the region....
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Diageo's Oban Little Bay single malt Scotch - NPD
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research