UK: Diageo sues Sainsbury's over Pimm's 'copycat'
Diageo confirmed today (17 August) that it has filed for legal proceedings against Sainsbury's, the UK's third largest supermarket, "in relation to an intellectual property matter".
just-drinks understands that the case relates to Sainsbury's Pitchers brand, a gin-based drink devised to be mixed with fruit and lemonade.
Launched in April, Pitchers appears to be in direct competition with Diageo's Pimm's brand.
Sainsbury's described the brand as "cheaper than the branded equivalent" and as its "own version of the UK's favourite summer cocktail".
The retailer said in a statement today that it will "vigorously defend" itself against legal action. "Our customers are savvy enough to know exactly what they're buying, the clue is in the name, and we see no basis for such a claim," it said.
Diageo said it does not intend to sour wider relations with Sainsbury's over the dispute.
"Sainsbury's is a valued customer of Diageo and we hope will continue to be so for many years. It is Diageo's firm intent that our strong trading relationship should not be affected by this discrete dispute," the drinks giant said.
Ireland's dilapidated economy looks to have forced Diageo to shelve plans for a full-scale overhaul of brewing operations for at least 12 months....
Japanese drinks group Kirin Holdings has appointed a new president and CEO as it looks to push on with plans to drive earnings, despite a breakdown in merger talks with Suntory....
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends