Diageo speaks out over Guinness, Premier League tie-up rumours
Will Diageo's Guinness be the next sponsor of the English Premier League?
Diageo has branded as “speculation” reports that it is vying to make Guinness the next headline brand sponsor of football's English Premier League.
Sky News reported late yesterday that the UK-based drinks firm is among a number of companies working on a bid for the rights, with the deal expected to be worth around GBP150m (US$225m). Current sponsor Barclays will see its three-year deal expire at the end of next season, but could reportedly be looking to renew the deal.
In a statement to just-drinks today, Diageo said: “With global brands such as Guinness, Smirnoff and Johnnie Walker, sponsorship plays an important role in our marketing activities. We look at opportunities all the time so as a rule we do not comment on speculation.”
Guinness is already the official beer of rugby's Aviva Premiership, after Diageo renewed a deal last year. However, the brand has no high profile links to football in the UK.
Last year, Diageo invested heavily in the stout brand in the UK in attempts to revive sales, including launching variants such as 'Dublin Porter' and 'West Indies Porter'.
In half-year results released yesterday, the company reported that Guinness was "impacted" in the UK on-trade, but "maintained share". Total beer sales in the six months fell 2%, Diageo said.
Modest growth for global travel retail: Global travel retail sales of wines and spirits, including pre-mix drinks, rose by a modest 1.8% in 2014, reaching 30.2m nine-litre cases in what was a year of ...
Today, Diageo reported a lift in H1 net profits but net sales fell. Here just-drinks takes a look at the performance of the group's regions in the first half:...
The World Economic Forum's Global Risks Report 2016 rates the failure of climate change mitigation and adaptation as the risk that could have the greatest impact on business over the next ten years, w...
There is an air of uncertainty ahead of the release of Diageo's half-year results, due on Thursday....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research