IRELAND: Diageo speaks out over Arthur's Day backlash
The event was first held in 2009 by Diageo
Doctors, psychiatrists, youth workers and musicians have voiced concerns about the event, with some suggesting it encourages binge-drinking, the Irish Examiner has reported. One group has even set up a social media campaign calling for the day of events, launched initially in 2009 to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the Guinness lease, to be boycotted, it was reported.
But, in a statement to just-drinks today (24 September), a Diageo spokeperson said the company “implements a strong responsible drinking awareness campaign” around the event and offers “clear advice to pubs creating their own celebrations”. After the first round of Arthur's Day events, Diageo decided to mark the anniversary annually. The global campaign has also seen events in Lagos, Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta.
In Ireland this year, around 500 music events will be staged at pubs and venues, Diageo said. “We encourage all 500 participating pubs to give out free water and free food at the larger ticketed venues,” the spokesperson added.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
For as long as many of us can remember, international spirits has been a profitable category for investors....
"The Future of the Wine Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and co...
India’s largest spirits producer, UB Group’s United Spirits, came under the control of global leader, Diageo, in 2013. The profile analyses the most promising ways forward for United Spirits’ strong d...
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research