IRELAND: Diageo speaks out over Arthur's Day backlash
The event was first held in 2009 by Diageo
Doctors, psychiatrists, youth workers and musicians have voiced concerns about the event, with some suggesting it encourages binge-drinking, the Irish Examiner has reported. One group has even set up a social media campaign calling for the day of events, launched initially in 2009 to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the Guinness lease, to be boycotted, it was reported.
But, in a statement to just-drinks today (24 September), a Diageo spokeperson said the company “implements a strong responsible drinking awareness campaign” around the event and offers “clear advice to pubs creating their own celebrations”. After the first round of Arthur's Day events, Diageo decided to mark the anniversary annually. The global campaign has also seen events in Lagos, Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta.
In Ireland this year, around 500 music events will be staged at pubs and venues, Diageo said. “We encourage all 500 participating pubs to give out free water and free food at the larger ticketed venues,” the spokesperson added.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
For as long as many of us can remember, international spirits has been a profitable category for investors....
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
"The Future of the Wine Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and co...
Some interesting developments have been occuring within the Vodka category since the publication of our previous global market review of the category....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review