PUERTO RICO/US: Diageo silent over National Puerto Rican Day Parade pull-out
Diageo has declined to comment on the announcement that the National Puerto Rican Day Parade is “terminating” its relationship with the drinks giant over the Captain Morgan affair.
Diageo has come under fire from many Puerto Ricans after it announced in 2008 that it was quitting the US territory to move production of its Captain Morgan rum brand to the US Virgin Islands USVI.
In July last year, Diageo was moved to clarify reports that the move to the USVI would reap around US$3bn from a tax break(/article.aspx?id=97735).
Then, the matter erupted last month, when Diageo launched an attack on Bacardi, which had also criticised the move.
Late last week, parade chairperson Madelyn Lugo. Said: “The corporate sponsorships of Captain Morgan and its British parent, Diageo, are no longer welcome.”
The National Puerto Rican Day Parade organisation noted that Diageo's Captain Morgan, Jose Cuervo and Captain Morgan brands have had a 30-year relationship with the parade.
When contacted by just-drinks today (8 March), a spokesperson for Diageo in North America chose not to comment on the latest development.
The National Puerto Rican Day Parade takes place in New York on 13 June.
Is beer good for you? The health benefits and drawbacks of beer have long been studied and debated. But is beer good for your country? Most definitely, conclude Larry Nelson and Frank Zappa....
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer