INDIA: Diageo silent on Radico Khaitan split
Diageo has refused to comment on speculation that it is planning to exit its joint venture with Radico Khaitan in India.
Following a local media report suggesting Diageo had embarked on an exit strategy, a company spokesperson told just-drinks today (4 November) that it "is not prepared to comment on rumour or speculation".
Diageo set up a joint venture with Radico in 2006, in order to gain a greater foothold in India's blossoming spirits market. Analysts estimate that Radico Khaitan holds around a 10% share of the country's spirits market.
A Diageo spokesperson told just-drinks last month that the drinks giant had entered talks with Indian billionaire Vijay Mallya about a possible stake in his United Spirits business, far and away the market leader.
Talks have only been exploratory up to now, just-drinks understands, with no clear picture of the form a tie-up might take.
Dr Mallya, speaking exclusively to just-drinks at last week's TFWA World exhibition in Cannes, confirmed that informal discussions had taken place, but sought to dampen the speculation.
He added, however, that any deal between between Diageo and United Spirits would have to spell the end of the Radico venture. "You can't be in bed with two Indian companies," he said.
As owner of some of the world's most successful alcohol brands, Diageo clearly recognises the importance of innovation. Olly Wehring spoke with Syl Saller, global innovations director at Diageo, about...
Kirin Holdings has wasted no time in implementing its new strategy to expand across Asia Pacific and reduce reliance on domestic beer sales....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Diageo has confirmed to just-drinks that it plans to expand its pre-mix offering across northern Europe....
Diageo is looking to continue to trial its Guinness Red beer brand in the UK, but has no current time-scale for a wider roll-out....
Investment bank UBS has downgraded Brown-Forman shares from neutral to sell, saying that it does not expect the drinks firm to strike a deal with Bacardi in the near future....
Cobra Beer chief executive Adrian McKeon has left his position as a sale of the brewer enters its final stages....
India's United Spirits expects its volume sales to grow by 17% this year, despite the global economic downturn, company president Vijay Rekhi has told just-drinks....
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Scotch Whisky Top 20 Export Markets 2014
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Moet Hennessy sells Scotch Malt Whisky Society
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly