UK: Diageo silent on deal offer to leave UK
Diageo receives offer to move HQ - report
Diageo has declined to comment on a report that authorities in Switzerland have offered the drinks giant incentives to switch its corporate headquarters to the country from the UK.
However, the group said in a statement: "As we have said before, we see many advantages to remaining a British domiciled company, but we have also made clear time and again that it is important the Government takes steps to ensure this country remains and develops its position as a competitive place to do business."
Concerns have grown over the last couple of years that corporate tax pressure could prompt several top UK companies to relocate their headquarters abroad. A mass exodus would damage Government tax revenues.
Diageo completed a rehousing of its global headquarters within London in December. Global staff are now based alongside workers for the firm's Great Britain division.
just-drinks understands that the move was not conceived as a stop-gap solution or as a precursor to a move elsewhere.
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends