UK: Diageo signs Zacapa rum to Reserve collection
Diageo has been granted a three year global distribution and joint marketing deal by Industrias Licoreras de Guatemala group of companies for the Zacapa rum brand.
Speaking to just-drinks today (8 February), a spokesperson for the company confirmed that the agreement, which will begin on 1 April, will give Diageo global distribution rights with the exception of some countries in Central America, including Guatemala.
At the end of the three years Diageo has an option to buy a 50% equity stake in the brand subject to performance criterion, the company said.
The Zacapa rum portfolio includes Zacapa Centenario 15, Zacapa Centenario 23 and the ultra premium Zacapa Centenario XO.
The core markets for distribution will include the US, Mexico, Chile, Spain, Japan and global travel retail, said the spokesperson. "This was a strategic decision. We heeded the advice and recommendation of rum experts from across the world. It [Zacapa] will maintain its brand position based on heritage and unique taste, but our intent is to build the brand to upgrade its brand profile and introduce it to new markets.
"We may look to do a few selective line extensions too. We have plans to expand in regions where we see significant opportunities for luxury dark spirits."
Diageo's Latin America & Caribbean Hub managing director Randy Millian added: "The Zacapa brand will widen our brand range within the second largest and fastest growing major spirits category in the world and diversify our Reserve brand collection, which includes such super premium brands as Johnnie Walker Blue Label and Buchanan's Red Seal.'
Recent deals by both Diageo and Edrington underline the growth potential major spirits companies see in the premium rum market. Jessica Harvey examines the latest moves in the context of a growing and...
Drinks consumers in Greece are continuing to demand premium products, according to recent research....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Diageo has moved to distance itself from a viral Internet advert for its Guinness beer brand....
Diageo is rolling-out a new marketing programme for its Smirnoff vodka brand in the UK....
Family-owned spirits producer Heaven Hill Distilleries has added two new flavoured line extensions to its Georgia Moon corn whiskey brand in the US....
Diageo has increased its stake in premium Chinese white spirits company Sichuan Chengdu Quanxing Group....
Cobra Beer has confirmed it is in talks with "several interested parties" with a view to lining up investment in the company....
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Chilli targets beer with Rekorderlig Dry Apple
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014