AUS: Diageo set to register Independent interest
Diageo will next week register its interest in Independent Liquor with Australia's competition watchdog, just-drinks understands.
The UK drinks giant plans to apply for clearance from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to enter the race to buy the New Zealand-based spirits group, according to sources familiar with the situation.
The application to the ACCC is believed to be necessary before a potential suitor is granted access to conduct due diligence on Independent, the producer of RTD brands including Vodka Cruiser, Mudshake and FX.
Earlier this week, Diageo was understood to be mulling whether to enter the race for Independent, which was put up for sale last year following the death of founder Michael Erceg. Analysts have valued the company at around A$1.1bn (US$829m).
Diageo's plans to lodge an application with the ACCC is confirmation of its interest, something that had been deemed unlikely, as the UK company's strong position in RTDs in Australia could raise competition concerns.
Lion has made the clearest indication that it is interested in Independent with its applications to both Australia's and New Zealand's competition watchdogs for clearance for a bid, should it wish to do so.
A Foster's spokesman told just-drinks from Melbourne that the company would "look at any player that operates in our major markets".
However, Foster's is understood to not be among the front-runners for Independent, which controls well over 60% of the RTD sector in New Zealand.
Bacardi has been engaged in a legal battle with Pernod Ricard over the rights to the Havana Club trademark for years. But Patience Gould believes the US-based spirits giant is shooting itself in the f...
Diageo has secured an "arms-length investment partnership" with a cocktail mixer company in the US....
Diageo is extending its Johnnie Walker whisky portfolio, with a launch into the ultra deluxe segment in Europe and the Americas....
Diageo is hoping to draw a better consumer understanding of where its Smirnoff vodka brand comes from. The company, which unveiled a multi-platform global campaign for the vodka yesterday (9 April), i...
Foster's has completed a substantial share buy-back....
Pernod Ricard has lined up a fresh advertising campaign for Stolichnaya in the US....
Castle Brands has posted a healthy lift in sales volumes for the last quarter of its fiscal year....
Diageo is preparing a multi-platform global campaign for its Smirnoff vodka brand....
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014