IRELAND: Diageo scraps Arthur's Day, but British singer upset
Arthur's Day was launched by Diageo in 2009
British musician Paloma Faith has reportedly voiced her disappointment after news that Diageo has cancelled its annual Arthur's Day celebrations for its Guinness brand.
It emerged last week that the company had dropped the five year-old event in favour of a new music initiative in Ireland - Guinness Amplify. Arthur's Day, which initially marked the 250th anniversary of Arthur Guinness signing a lease for Dublin's St James's Gate brewery, attracted criticism last year over claims it had turned into a marketing exercise that encouraged binge-drinking.
But Faith told the Irish Independent today: “I can tell you it's not a boozefest. I thought it fun, it was a really good line-up, I'm sad to hear it's over.”
In a statement to just-drinks, a Diageo spokesperson said: “Arthur’s Day was Guinness’ global music programme celebrated in 55 countries worldwide. After five exceptionally successful years, globally the brand has decided to change its music plans.
“Guinness Amplify is our new fantastic music programme centred on supporting emerging talent in Ireland and at the same time, continues our support of the trade.”
Yesterday's appointment news from Diageo has echoes of a similar HR switch at SABMiller two years ago - a question of perceived suitability....
Diageo has confirmed reports in the Chinese press that it will not go ahead with the construction of its planned Shui Jing Fang production site in Chengdu....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends