CHINA: Diageo rolls out Johnnie Walker House concept to Beijing
The house is Diageo's second facility in China
The facility in Beijing includes a bar, museum shop and “exclusive” members club. It follows on from a similar venue opened in Shanghai last year.
The site is a “response to the demand from Chinese consumers for in-depth knowledge, not only of the specific luxury brands they indulge in, but also of the broader categories the brands fall under”, the company said.
The latest house includes members-only whisky vaults, signature blends and private “whisky-inspired” dining from the brand’s in-house chef. Its public downstairs Distillery Bar includes around 10,000 copper pipes, designed to simulate a working distillery.
Diageo said it is aiming to roll out the concept, with "plans" for Asia-Pacific and globally.
Earlier this week, the group said it is also well placed to grow its vodka brands in China despite the dominance of the domestic white spirits category. Baijiu accounts for 99% of all spirits sales in China.
Diageo has an interest in baijiu after taking a controlling stake in Sichuan Chengdu Quanxing Group, which owns 39.7% of baijiu brand ShuiJingFang, in 2010.
The white spirits category is merely an arbitrary pooling together of subsectors sharing some commonalities and more than a few major differences on the basis of the drinks' primary colours. Euromonit...
Earlier this week, brand valuation consultancy Intangible Business released the results of its latest survey of the world's spirits brands. Here's a look at the top ten, along with the methodology use...
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review