CANADA: Diageo rolls-out Guinness Black Lager
Diageo unveiled Guinness Black Lager Beer in 2011
The 4.5% abv lager, which Diageo branded its “big play” of 2011, is on sale across Canada and will be supported by a TV, radio and online marketing push, Diageo said this week. It is available in 33cl bottles and priced “comparable to other premium import lagers”, Diageo said.
"Guinness Black Lager will appeal to people who are looking for more flavour from their lager beers,” Guinness Canada marketing director Geoff Kosar said. It uses the same roasted barley flavour as Guinness Draught “with a crisp new approach”, Kosar added.
Guinness Black Lager was launched in September 2011. At the time, Guinness global brand director Oliver Loomes told just-drinks it could significantly increase the brand's US business. “If we can crack it, the numbers will be big," Loomes said.
A Diageo spokesperson told just-drinks today the company does not give performance breakdowns for brand variants. However, in first-half results, released in January, Diageo highlighted a "disappointing rate of sale of the innovation". It said new advertising had been developed "to better communicate the brand’s product proposition".
The final death count of Typhoon Haiyan, which hit the Philippines last week, is still a long way from being known. The relief effort is well underway, however, and drinks companies are among those th...
Diageo has launched a powerful new anti-drink driving film, tied to its Johnnie Walker brand. ...
Jose Cuervo is giving a major push to its namesake Tequila brand in the UK, after a similar campaign in the US earlier this year. ...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Global water targets risk hiding local concerns
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends