EUR: Diageo readies European roll-out for pre-mix
Diageo has confirmed to just-drinks that it plans to expand its pre-mix offering across northern Europe.
The company, whose unit in the UK increased its pre-mix offering last month from four to seven, told just-drinks late last week that it will launch several pre-mixed brands in Austria, Belgium, Denmark and The Netherlands next month.
In Belgium and The Netherlands, Diageo will launch Smirnoff vodka & apple juice, Captain Morgan Original Spiced Gold & cola, Gordon's gin & tonic and J&B whisky & cola. Austrian and Danish consumers, meanwhile, will be offered the same line-up, with the exception of J&B & cola.
All four variants carry an abv of 6.4%.
Speaking to just-drinks, Diageo's global innovations director, Syl Saller, claimed that Diageo was "well-placed" to reap dividends from the pre-mix launches, thanks to the timing of its testing within the category prior to the economic downturn.
"You can see the trend towards at-home consumption happening almost globally," Saller said. "The tests we had been running with pre-mix and with cocktails (before the downturn), and the fact that those tests were doing well, meant we were able to come out of that and then accelerate our launch plans.
"We were testing pre-mix in GB and then we were able to decide to go Europe-wide. We're well-placed to take advantage of the trend towards at-home."
Recent figures from drinks heavyweights Pernod Ricard and Diageo suggest that premium Scotch whisky sales are suffering in the economic dowturn....
Vodka will be the next drinks category to benefit from India's growing alcohol consumption going forward, according to industry forecasts....
Here you can find the top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
Diageo workers in Scotland are to vote on strike action in protest at the company's plan to cut around 10% of its Scotch whisky workforce in the country....
SABMiller has held a conference in South Africa to reaffirm its commitment to Africa, as countries across the continent continue to show promise for beer sales....
Diageo and the Nolet family are looking to launch Dutch premium vodka Ketel One into a number of new countries, including Brazil....
Diageo and the Nolet family this week said they are looking to launch Dutch premium vodka Ketel One into a number of new countries, including Brazil. Here we take a look at five key dates in the histo...
United Breweries and United Spirits, both part of The UB Group empire in India, have posted their latest quarterly and half-year results....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research