UK: Diageo Q1 sales rise, but analysts expected more
- Q1 net sales increase by 3.1%
- Volumes in the three months to end of September up by 0.6%
- LatAm & Caribbean leads the way; sales leap by 10.9%
- Medium-term guidance of 6% sales growth maintained
Diageo released its Q1 trading update earlier today
Diageo has posted a weaker-than-expected sales lift in its fiscal first quarter, blaming the end of its Jose Cuervo agreement for the performance.
The company said earlier today (17 October) that net sales in the three months to the end of September rose by 3.1% on the corresponding period a year earlier. Volumes in the quarter inched up by 0.6%.
The termination of the global (outside Mexico) sales, marketing and distribution deal involving the Beckmann family's Jose Cuervo Tequila brand at the end of June was cited as a factor behind the sales numbers.
Geographically, Diageo's Latin America & Caribbean unit was the star performer, delivering a sales jump of 10.9%.
North America continued to be the group's bedrock, with sales in the region rising by 5.1%. The Africa, Eastern Europe & Turkey unit saw sales rise by 1.3%, while Asia Pacific was up, just, by 0.6%. Western Europe moderated slightly in the quarter, with sales slipping by 1.1%, an improvement on Diageo's fiscal 2013, when the region posted a 4% slide.
"Our performance in the quarter was good given weakness in some markets," said CEO Ivan Menezes. "The strength of our biggest business, US spirits, underpinned our performance. Our business in Western Europe performed in line with the slightly improving trends we saw in Q4 of F13, although I still expect a low single-digit net sales decline for the full year.
"While there are headwinds in some emerging markets, including the impact of the government policies in China, there are also markets in which we continue to deliver robust growth."
In a note published soon after the results, analyst UBS described the performance as a "softer than expected start to the year".
"We lower 14FY organic sales growth forecast from +5.3% to +4.9% reflecting this weaker-than-expected Q1FY performance for Africa, Eastern Europe & Turkey, and Asia Pacific," UBS said.
Diageo's medium-term guidance remains to deliver net sales CAGR of 6%.
To read Diageo's official statement from today, click here.
For a look at the company's performance on a regional basis, click here.
For an analysis of the update, click here.
As we start our annual series of management briefings that focus on environmental sustainability, Ben Cooper looks at the importance of integrating the issue into all aspect of a company's operations ...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
In the second part of this month's management briefing, which shines the light on the importance of environmental sustainability in the brewing industry, Ben Cooper considers the impact of stakeholder...
"The Future of the Wine Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and co...
In the third part of this month's management briefing, Ben Cooper reviews the environmental sustainability of three of the world's biggest brewers: Anheuser-Busch InBev, Carlsberg and Diageo....
India’s largest spirits producer, UB Group’s United Spirits, came under the control of global leader, Diageo, in 2013. The profile analyses the most promising ways forward for United Spirits’ strong d...
Business Monitor International's Cameroon Food and Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, food and drink associations, government departments and regulatory ...
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Scotch whisky sees sales turn corner - SWA head
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research