UK: Diageo pulls plug on Bushmills Irish cream
Diageo has ceased production of its Bushmills Irish cream liqueur due to the dwindling popularity of the brand.
The UK-based drinks giant, which bought the Bushmills whiskey business in 2005, said it is running down its stock after stopping production before Christmas.
A spokesperson for Diageo in Northern Ireland, where the Bushmills distillery is based, said there had been only "one minimum volume order" of Bushmills Irish cream in the last year.
There will be no impact on jobs, she said, adding that Diageo would now focus on the core Bushmills Irish whiskey product. Diageo has ploughed GBP5m (US$9.7m) into Bushmills since it bought the product from Pernod Ricard two years ago.
The spokesperson insisted that the decision to stop producing the cream liqueur offering was not made to help push sales of flagship brand Baileys.
She said: "That really wasn't part of the rationale. Bushmills Irish cream was examined in isolation on a market performance basis."
It is the results season, so attention is focused on the major public drinks corporations as they give their shareholders the good or bad news. But Patience Gould believes that in an industry where ta...
Pernod Ricard's annual results briefing last week suggested the company has consigned the Allied Domecq deal to history. No more talk of bedding down and integration. The emphasis was firmly on the fu...
Leading figures in the Scotch whisky industry are to form a pan-industry working party to investigate the question of image and innovation in Scotch. The debate will be led by the World Whisky Confere...
Cooley Distillery has posted a healthy rise in sales and profits for 2006, but has warned that 2007 will be "a harder year". At the same time, the company's head issued a 'come-and-join-me' to a large...
The chief of Pernod Ricard's Stolichnaya partner is the subject of an arrest warrant in his native Russia....
Diageo Great Britain will launch a heavyweight campaign linking its Guinness brand with rugby....
Bodegas Domecq has teamed up with Emporia Brands to take responsibility for sales of their full range of Sherries to both the UK on-trade and off-trade....
Diageo has remained silent on reports that it is planning to launch one of its global whisky brands in India by the end of the fiscal year and potentially enter the wine market....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research