VENEZUELA: Diageo predicts sharp contraction
By Owain Johnson
The market for spirits in Venezuela is likely to shrink by 25-30% this year, according to Diageo Venezuela president Stephane Bardinet. Diageo currently possesses a 30% share of the national alcohol market, excluding beer sales.
Venezuela is currently suffering a major political and economic crisis, and Bardinet warned that a contraction "is inevitable given the current situation."
The company president said most figures suggest a 25-30% contraction, but he added that the company is also preparing itself for a possible fall in consumption of as much as 45%. "All the indicators are down," Bardinet noted.
The Diageo boss said the recent devaluation in the national currency, the bolivar, had forced the company to raise the prices of imported premium brands by up to 60% in recent months, although he said prices would be readjusted if the bolivar gained ground against the US dollar.
In response to the difficult trading conditions, Diageo plans to refocus its business strategy and concentrate primarily on promoting its key brands: Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff, J&B, Bailey's, Tanqueray, Guinness, Cuervo and Captain Morgan.
The company is not, however, planning to make redundancies in the near future. Bardinet said he was still hopeful about the long-term prospects for the Venezuelan market and predicted that the first signs of recovery will appear in December.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Diageo is to launch a national advertising campaign for its gin band Tanqueray in the US....
Diageo is looking to change the image of one of its flagship brands in Colombia....
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
Diageo is poised to cut back its presence in Germany, according to local reports....
Heineken has acquired a 40% stake in a Chinese brewery....
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Comment - What on Earth is a Liqueur?
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Pernod Ricard appoints Absolut Vodka VP
- Beam Suntory to re-package Courvoisier Cognac
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Brown-Forman looks to raise US$500m
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beer, 2014 and the future