US: Diageo poised to add to Captain Morgan stable
Diageo will roll out a Captain Morgan brand extension early next year
Speaking at this week's Diageo Investor Conference in New York, chief marketing and innovation officer for the US, Peter McDonough, confirmed that the firm will launch a Captain Morgan variant in the coming weeks. Whilst declining to be drawn further on the product, McDonough said he expects the extension to be in market through the second half of Diageo's fiscal year, which starts in January.
Captain Morgan's spiced variant was the subject of a marketing update in the US earlier this year. In May, Diageo started a campaign entitled 'To Life, Love and Loot' for the brand.
“Two years ago, Captain Morgan began to stall (in the US),” said McDonough yesterday (17 November). “The humour we were using was losing its appeal with consumers. So, in May, we repositioned the brand to appear more aspirational and authentic.
“Since the campaign launch, Captain Morgan has posted seven consecutive months of growth in the country.”
In Diageo's last fiscal year to the end of June, the Captain Morgan brand saw sales in North America slide in both value and volume by 2% year-on-year.
McDonough also used his presentation to analysts and fund managers to hint at brand extensions for Jose Cuervo and Crown Royal in the US, due in the Spring.
Earlier this year, just-drinks sat down with David Gates, the global category director of whisk(e)y at Diageo, to talk about Johnnie Walker, Formula One, Scotch and the other whisk(e)y sub-categories....
Our whisk(e)y specialist, Ian Buxton, has had his head turned this month by a glut of flavoured whiskies. Or, 'spirit drinks', if you're a European....
Grupo Damm's Estrella Damm beer brand is set to benefit from a marketing push in the UK....
Diageo has launched a three-tranche set of bonds that will net it US$2.5bn....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Tsingtao Brewery issues profits warning
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends