INDIA: Diageo plays down delay over United Spirits share sale
The deal with first announced last November
In a regulatory filing today (7 January), JM Financial Institutional Securities, which is handling the open offer, said that the initial schedule has been “revised”. This is due to “final observations” still to come from India’s Securities and Exchange Board, it said.
The offer to acquire 26% of public shares was due to be held between today and 18 January, JM Financial said in November. Diageo is looking to buy 37.8m shares at an offer price of INR1,440 per share. The cash offer will total INR54.4bn (US$987m).
“The revised schedule of activities will be intimated in due course,” the filing added.
In a statement, a Diageo spokesperson told just-drinks: "We continue to work towards our timeline, which would see the transaction completing in Q1 2013."
The companies first announced in November that they had agreed a deal for Diageo to take an overall 53.4% stake in United Spirits for INR111.7bn (US$2.05bn).
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
The drinks sector is particularly fertile ground for mergers and acquisition activity, with a number of big businesses accustomed to making acquisitions to spur growth, new players popping up all over...
In a recently-published global briefing 'Diageo in Spirits', Euromonitor International's senior alcoholic drinks analyst Jeremy Cunnington takes a look at what are the challenges facing Diageo in spi...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review