INDIA: Diageo plays down delay over United Spirits share sale
The deal with first announced last November
In a regulatory filing today (7 January), JM Financial Institutional Securities, which is handling the open offer, said that the initial schedule has been “revised”. This is due to “final observations” still to come from India’s Securities and Exchange Board, it said.
The offer to acquire 26% of public shares was due to be held between today and 18 January, JM Financial said in November. Diageo is looking to buy 37.8m shares at an offer price of INR1,440 per share. The cash offer will total INR54.4bn (US$987m).
“The revised schedule of activities will be intimated in due course,” the filing added.
In a statement, a Diageo spokesperson told just-drinks: "We continue to work towards our timeline, which would see the transaction completing in Q1 2013."
The companies first announced in November that they had agreed a deal for Diageo to take an overall 53.4% stake in United Spirits for INR111.7bn (US$2.05bn).
The drinks sector is particularly fertile ground for mergers and acquisition activity, with a number of big businesses accustomed to making acquisitions to spur growth, new players popping up all over...
In a recently-published global briefing 'Diageo in Spirits', Euromonitor International's senior alcoholic drinks analyst Jeremy Cunnington takes a look at what are the challenges facing Diageo in spi...
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Pernod Ricard targets at-home drinking
- Molson Coors names UK & Ireland managing director
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends