INDIA: Diageo plays down delay over United Spirits share sale
The deal with first announced last November
In a regulatory filing today (7 January), JM Financial Institutional Securities, which is handling the open offer, said that the initial schedule has been “revised”. This is due to “final observations” still to come from India’s Securities and Exchange Board, it said.
The offer to acquire 26% of public shares was due to be held between today and 18 January, JM Financial said in November. Diageo is looking to buy 37.8m shares at an offer price of INR1,440 per share. The cash offer will total INR54.4bn (US$987m).
“The revised schedule of activities will be intimated in due course,” the filing added.
In a statement, a Diageo spokesperson told just-drinks: "We continue to work towards our timeline, which would see the transaction completing in Q1 2013."
The companies first announced in November that they had agreed a deal for Diageo to take an overall 53.4% stake in United Spirits for INR111.7bn (US$2.05bn).
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
The drinks sector is particularly fertile ground for mergers and acquisition activity, with a number of big businesses accustomed to making acquisitions to spur growth, new players popping up all over...
In a recently-published global briefing 'Diageo in Spirits', Euromonitor International's senior alcoholic drinks analyst Jeremy Cunnington takes a look at what are the challenges facing Diageo in spi...
- Comment - Another One Bites Bacardi's Dust
- The End of the Road for International Beer Brands?
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q4 & FY
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Comment - Hybrid Spirits: Innovation or Laziness?
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- Pernod bemoans tough FY as sales, profits drop
- Bacardi announces CFO switch
- SABMiller exec to become CFO at Beam Suntory
- Brown-Forman unveils Jack Daniel's UK push