GLOBAL: Diageo, Pernod Ricard tracking Scotch growth trend - analyst
Scotch whisky is set to be next year's growth story
The note from Investec today (6 September) also said latest results from the two drinks giants show that premiumisation has returned to the forefront of drinks producers' strategies, while a recovery in the US is taking place. But all eyes will be on Scotch for 2013 with Diageo and Pernod laying down new inventory and expanding capacity, it said.
“Scotch whisky is on trend and driving growth across the spirits sector,” Investec said. “The major international distillers have responded to an exponential surge in demand for Scotch, particularly in developing markets.”
Also on Tuesday, Pernod said it is considering building a new distillery in Scotland while in May, it committed to a GBP40m annual investment in its Chivas Brothers Scotch division.
Scotch accounts for about one-third of Diageo's group sales and about 30% of Pernod's profit, Investec said.
Scotch is also at the heart of resurgent premiumisation trends after a post-Lehman Brothers downturn, Investec said.
“The evidence from current trading is that premiumisation is enjoying something of a renaissance, both in the largest global market (US), and through the pockets of aspirational drinkers in developing markets”, Investec said. Recent price momentum for Pernod and Diageo has been driven by premium brands, which account for 73% of Pernod’s group sales, Investec said.
The analyst added that encouraging results in the US for the two companies show that the country is on track for recovery.
“The mood music on the US - the largest global profit pool for international spirits - is turning increasingly positive,” it said. “The sound-bites from both Diageo and Pernod reflect an increasing confidence in the recovery of premiumisation in the US.”
What do Bacardi, Diageo and Pernod Ricard have in common? Aside from the obvious, Ian Buxton proffers that they share the same problem when it comes to Bourbon, and that's their lack of it....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018