GLOBAL: Diageo, Pernod Ricard face Q1 'bend in the road' - analyst
Diageo and Pernod report Q1s later this month
In a note issued earlier today (12 October), Investec said the “testing” comparables for the two spirits giants and the “state of the consumer” in developed and developing markets is leading it to be “cautious” over the results. Diageo is due to report first-quarter numbers on Wednesday (17 October), with Pernod following on 25 October.
However, Investec said it anticipates “solid" organic net sales growth for both groups, of 4% for Diageo and 5% for Pernod.
No change is expected for Diageo’s medium-term guidance of 6% annual organic sales growth, the analysts said. On Pernod, the note added: “Pernod will give FY13 guidance at the Q1, which needs to be judged against FY12’s ‘close to 8%’”.
The state of developing markets are “key to sentiment”, Investec added, as "both companies have a medium term target of 50% sales exposure to these regions".
The note added: "We remain comfortable buyers on a 12-month view".
Reports today claiming that Diageo's public offer to up its stake in United Spirits is doomed to failure should be taken in some sort of context....
Last month, Chris Losh was one of the experts on just-drinks' 'state of the industry' webinar. While the webinar looked at the drinks industry as a whole, Chris thinks the results provide plenty of fo...
Drinks companies stand to benefit as the global travel retail market continues to expand, buoyed by millions of new passengers from developing economies, according to a new just-drinks/IWSR report....
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Global Travel Retail - What is the Grey Market?
- The European beer market - Focus
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Corporate Relations Director to leave Diageo
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Pernod Ricard pairs Usain Bolt with Mumm Champagne