UK: Diageo, Pernod Ricard, Angus Dundee invest in distillery pipeline
The 16-mile pipeline, due to be completed by summer 2014, will link distilleries at The Glenlivet (Pernod's Chivas Brothers), Tormore (Chivas), Cragganmore (Diageo) and Tomintoul (Angus Dundee) with the gas network.
It is designed to end the distilleries’ reliance on heavy fuel oil and tanker deliveries.
In a joint statement, the three companies said: “These distilleries were founded before the advent of gas as an energy source and their distant locations were often chosen for a bounteous supply of fresh spring water above all else.
“It is a very positive move to bring them online with the main gas network which will bring environmental and economic benefits to all distillers concerned.”
Contractors Fulcrum said it was a "multi-million pound" contract, while local reports claim that GBP7.6m (US$12.2m) is going into the pipeline.
Richard Atkinson, Fulcrum's sales & marketing director said that it is “increasingly economical for companies outside the main gas network to make this kind of investment”.
The company said it is in discussions with “several other Scotch whisky distillers” interested in funding new gas connection pipelines, either as part of a consortium or individually.
In this month's management briefing, Ben Cooper looks at the alcoholic drinks industry's attempts to reduce alcohol harm and promote responsible consumption. Part one of this four-part briefing consid...
Over the last 10 years of rapid acquisitions, Pernod Ricard has built a strong portfolio of premium brands on a global scale. Most of its brands enjoy a leading position in international markets. The ...
The fourth and final part of this month's management briefing sees Ben Cooper consider how the future looks for the drinks industry's attempts to deal with alcohol harm and responsible consumption....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018