UK: Diageo opens Johnnie Walker bottling line
Diageo has completed the first stage in its Scotch whisky investment programme.
The drinks giant confirmed today (21 September) that it has officially opened a new GBP12m (US$) bottling line at its Shieldhall plant in Scotland. The line will produce 300 bottles of Diageo's Johnnie Walker brand a minute, reaching an estimated 4.5m cases a year.
The Shieldhall operation bottles 23m cases of Scotch annually, representing 25% of the Scotch whisky bottled globally. The company said that the extra capacity will allow Diageo to meet anticipated long term demand in growing markets including Brazil, Russia, India, China and Mexico.
In February, Diageo pledged to spend in the region of GBP100m on expanding its operations in the country. Around GBP80m will be spent on expanding capacity in malt and grain distilling throughout Scotland, including the first new major malt distillery for more than 30 years.
The steep rise in alcohol duties announced in yesterday's Budget, which the Government says will help to tackle binge drinking, follows the publication of its review of the 2005 Licensing Act last wee...
Harviestoun Brewery has lined up the launch of its line of beers aged in Scotch whisky casks for the UK....
Constellation has warned that the recent hike in duty on wine in the UK could mark the end of the GBP3.99 (US$8.12) a bottle price point in the country....
Taxes on alcohol in the UK have been raised markedly in today's (12 March) Budget announcement....
The Boston Beer Company has posted a strong set of results for the end of the year, with net profit almost trebling in the final quarter....
Foster's group has announced the addition of a former Diageo executive to its board of directors....
Carlsberg's bid to take over part of Scottish & Newcastle has been approved by the European Union....
Inver House Distillers has announced plans to launch a limited edition bottling of its 40-year-old Hankey Bannister blended Scotch whisky timed to coincide with its 250th anniversary....
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Why Millennials are driving premium wine demand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Ex-Diageo exec takes over Island Club spirits
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Piper-Heidsieck agrees three-year Oscars tie-up
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets