USVI: Diageo opens Captain Morgan facility
The new Captain Morgan distillery will supply rum for the US market
The facility, which provoked a political storm in the US earlier this year, was opened today (23 November) by the US Virgin Islands' governor, John deJongh, and Paul Walsh, CEO of Diageo. Once in operation, the distillery, construction of which began in August last year, will have the capacity to distill up to 20m proof gallons of Captain Morgan rum per year. The facility is also expected to generate an estimated US$130m in tax revenue for the Virgin Islands Government.
It is the issue of tax that has proved controversial. Since Diageo signed a deal with the USVI back in June 2008 to build the distillery, the company has been the subject of several attacks, claiming that it will benefit by around $3bn from a US tax break. Bacardi, which came out against Diageo's plans to move production of Captain Morgan from Puerto Rico to the USVI, provoked a stinging rebuke from Diageo in February this year.
At the official ceremony today, Governor deJongh and Walsh signed several rum barrels, and three time capsules were buried on the site to be opened ten, 20 and 30 years from today.
Diageo's lack of presence in Cognac is a gaping chasm in its Asia-Pacific portfolio, but the drinks group is insistent that it has the tools for growth....
Bacardi has released a television advert for its Grey Goose vodka brand in the US....
Diageo has enlisted the director of The King's Speech to create three televisions adverts for its Captain Morgan rum brand in the US....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research