Exclusive - CHINA: Diageo open to Shuijingfang stake increase
Could Diageo buy up more of Shuijingfang?
Diageo has not ruled out any future moves to up its stake in Shuijingfang, after today's green light to become the baijiu producer's largest shareholder.
Earlier today (23 July), the UK-headquartered group announced that it will take full control of Sichuan Chengdu Shuijingfang Group Co (SJF Holdco), and thereby upping its stake in Shuijingfang from 21.05% to 39.71%. It comes after China's authorities gave the go-ahead for the move.
In the statement announcing the transaction, Diageo pledged to “work with the senior Chinese management to build Shuijingfang into the leading international baijiu brand”.
Meanwhile, last year, Diageo triggered a mandatory tender offer for Shuijingfang after it raised its holding in SJF Holdco: the company priced the MTO at the lowest possible amount allowed by law, in order to keep the domestic interest in Shuijingfang at a high level.
However, when asked today if Diageo would look to increase its stake in Shuijingfang from 39.7%, a spokesperson for the company told just-drinks: “We may decide to increase our direct stake, subject to regulatory requirements and market conditions.”
Should Diageo look to acquire more shares in Shanghai-listed Shuijingfang, as a foreign company it would need to apply for 'Strategic Investor Status' with the Chinese authorities. Such an application can only be made if the stake purchase amounts to 10% or more of the company.
Eyebrows rose earlier this week at the US$16bn that Suntory is set to pay for Beam Inc. At 20 times the company's EBITDA, the transaction is at the more expensive end of the scale. Here, courtesy of a...
The rate of consolidation in the spirits category is markedly slower than that of many consumer industries. So, could the news this week that Suntory is set to buy Beam Inc trigger a wave of M&A? Past...
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends