EUROPE: Diageo offers backing to spirits start-ups
Distill Ventures will give backing to entrepreneurs in the spirits industry
Diageo has helped launch a new Europe-wide scheme aimed at developing start-up spirits brands.
Distill Ventures, which launched last week, is a joint initiative between the drinks group and creative agency Independents United. As part of the scheme, Diageo will offer funding of up to GBP200,000 (US$309,727) and advice to each of five selected entrepreneurs.
UK applicants can apply from now and will be selected in mid-November. The scheme is also being rolled out to Berlin, Warsaw, Madrid and Copenhagen “shortly”.
“There is a remarkable entrepreneurial spirit in the drinks sector right now,” said Syl Saller, Diageo's CMO. “We are seeing some brilliant new brands being born and built that are achieving commercial success. Our joint commitment to Distill Ventures will nurture, develop and grow the ideas and the people to create the pioneering premium spirits brands of the future.”
A seperate “growth programme” will also be launched in mid-2014, offering new brands the chance to “scale rapidly”. Up to GBP2m will be made available to successful applicants.
Last month, Diageo reported a single-digit rise in full-year operating profits and sales, helped by a strong performance in North America.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
With recent claims that China has become the world's biggest consumer of red wine, Chris Losh considers what wine producers can learn from the current travails facing international spirits companies i...
Well, it appears that BrewDog's addiction to controversy is alive and (un)well. But, at least, the UK company's latest move has a more valid - albeit slightly bigger and more frightening - target in i...
The flavoured vodka category has been a growth engine of the spirits sector for some time, but new research from just-drinks suggests that the sub-category no longer represents the easy route to growt...
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Pay freeze anger threatens Carlsberg UK site
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research