EUROPE: Diageo offers backing to spirits start-ups
Distill Ventures will give backing to entrepreneurs in the spirits industry
Diageo has helped launch a new Europe-wide scheme aimed at developing start-up spirits brands.
Distill Ventures, which launched last week, is a joint initiative between the drinks group and creative agency Independents United. As part of the scheme, Diageo will offer funding of up to GBP200,000 (US$309,727) and advice to each of five selected entrepreneurs.
UK applicants can apply from now and will be selected in mid-November. The scheme is also being rolled out to Berlin, Warsaw, Madrid and Copenhagen “shortly”.
“There is a remarkable entrepreneurial spirit in the drinks sector right now,” said Syl Saller, Diageo's CMO. “We are seeing some brilliant new brands being born and built that are achieving commercial success. Our joint commitment to Distill Ventures will nurture, develop and grow the ideas and the people to create the pioneering premium spirits brands of the future.”
A seperate “growth programme” will also be launched in mid-2014, offering new brands the chance to “scale rapidly”. Up to GBP2m will be made available to successful applicants.
Last month, Diageo reported a single-digit rise in full-year operating profits and sales, helped by a strong performance in North America.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
With recent claims that China has become the world's biggest consumer of red wine, Chris Losh considers what wine producers can learn from the current travails facing international spirits companies i...
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
Well, it appears that BrewDog's addiction to controversy is alive and (un)well. But, at least, the UK company's latest move has a more valid - albeit slightly bigger and more frightening - target in i...
Some interesting developments have been occuring within the Vodka category since the publication of our previous global market review of the category....
The flavoured vodka category has been a growth engine of the spirits sector for some time, but new research from just-drinks suggests that the sub-category no longer represents the easy route to growt...
Over the last 10 years RTD's as a category may not have grown at anywhere near the level it did between 1998 and 2003 but it has, nevertheless enjoyed steady global growth. This reality flies in the f...
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Chilli targets beer with Rekorderlig Dry Apple
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014