INDIA: Diageo not drawn on Mohan Meakin meeting claims
India's Mohan Meakin is the latest spirits company to be linked with Diageo
Diageo has declined to comment on reports out of India that it is in talks with Mohan Meakin over mutually beneficial opportunities in the country.
A piece in The Times of India earlier today (12 April) cited unnamed sources as claiming that senior Diageo officials have met with Kapil Mohan, the patriarch of the spirits company … “to explore opportunities of working together”. The two companies have signed a non-disclosure agreement, the report claimed.
When contacted by The Times of India, a Diageo spokesperson was quoted as saying: "Diageo continuously examines and evaluates opportunities to augment our business. We are unable to provide a comment on every transaction with which we are linked.”
A different spokesperson for the drinks giant told just-drinks today that “we do not comment on market rumour or speculation”.
Mohan Meakin owns the Old Monk Rum brand, which sells around 6m nine-litre cases a year in India.
Diageo, which already operates a spirits joint venture in India with Radico Khaitan, had been looking to up its presence in the emerging market, through a possible partnership with the liquor arm of The UB Group, United Spirits. However, long-running talks between the two came to nought when they were concluded almost two years ago.
The penultimate part of this month's management briefing considers the emerging markets, and the position they will take in the future of our industry....
Diageo's multi-million dollar partnership with Facebook is a sign of things to come and makes sense for all parties....
Diageo will move Red Stripe production for the US market to the US mainlaind, from Jamaica, the drinks giant has announced....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- Can fruit cider survive UK slowdown? - Focus
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part II
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends