INDIA: Diageo not drawn on Mohan Meakin meeting claims
India's Mohan Meakin is the latest spirits company to be linked with Diageo
Diageo has declined to comment on reports out of India that it is in talks with Mohan Meakin over mutually beneficial opportunities in the country.
A piece in The Times of India earlier today (12 April) cited unnamed sources as claiming that senior Diageo officials have met with Kapil Mohan, the patriarch of the spirits company … “to explore opportunities of working together”. The two companies have signed a non-disclosure agreement, the report claimed.
When contacted by The Times of India, a Diageo spokesperson was quoted as saying: "Diageo continuously examines and evaluates opportunities to augment our business. We are unable to provide a comment on every transaction with which we are linked.”
A different spokesperson for the drinks giant told just-drinks today that “we do not comment on market rumour or speculation”.
Mohan Meakin owns the Old Monk Rum brand, which sells around 6m nine-litre cases a year in India.
Diageo, which already operates a spirits joint venture in India with Radico Khaitan, had been looking to up its presence in the emerging market, through a possible partnership with the liquor arm of The UB Group, United Spirits. However, long-running talks between the two came to nought when they were concluded almost two years ago.
The penultimate part of this month's management briefing considers the emerging markets, and the position they will take in the future of our industry....
Diageo's multi-million dollar partnership with Facebook is a sign of things to come and makes sense for all parties....
Diageo will move Red Stripe production for the US market to the US mainlaind, from Jamaica, the drinks giant has announced....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- Work begins on Glasgow distillery
- Sapporo’s Sapporo Premium Black - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages