INDIA: Diageo not drawn on Mohan Meakin meeting claims
India's Mohan Meakin is the latest spirits company to be linked with Diageo
Diageo has declined to comment on reports out of India that it is in talks with Mohan Meakin over mutually beneficial opportunities in the country.
A piece in The Times of India earlier today (12 April) cited unnamed sources as claiming that senior Diageo officials have met with Kapil Mohan, the patriarch of the spirits company … “to explore opportunities of working together”. The two companies have signed a non-disclosure agreement, the report claimed.
When contacted by The Times of India, a Diageo spokesperson was quoted as saying: "Diageo continuously examines and evaluates opportunities to augment our business. We are unable to provide a comment on every transaction with which we are linked.”
A different spokesperson for the drinks giant told just-drinks today that “we do not comment on market rumour or speculation”.
Mohan Meakin owns the Old Monk Rum brand, which sells around 6m nine-litre cases a year in India.
Diageo, which already operates a spirits joint venture in India with Radico Khaitan, had been looking to up its presence in the emerging market, through a possible partnership with the liquor arm of The UB Group, United Spirits. However, long-running talks between the two came to nought when they were concluded almost two years ago.
The penultimate part of this month's management briefing considers the emerging markets, and the position they will take in the future of our industry....
Diageo's multi-million dollar partnership with Facebook is a sign of things to come and makes sense for all parties....
Diageo will move Red Stripe production for the US market to the US mainlaind, from Jamaica, the drinks giant has announced....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Coca-Cola to get boost from Monster in China
- CCE shows faith in Coca-Cola Life with full launch
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- United Spirits bids for distribution deal approval
- Gruppo Campari US unit head steps down
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018