UK: Diageo may fall foul of EU vodka law
Diageo is facing a legal battle with the EU over what constitutes vodka.
According to a report in the UK newspaper The Times today, the EU has drafted regulations on spirits that tighten the definition of vodka. It is proposed that vodka be defined as a drink fermented with yeast from "raw materials based on grain, potato, sugar beet and/or molasses".
However, Diageo's super-premium vodka brand Ciroc is made from grapes and therefore falls short of the proposed rules.
The Times reported that the UK's Gin and Vodka Association (GVA) has taken up Diageo's case, arguing that the regulations would in effect remove a legal product from the market without any technical or health reason.
Standing against Diageo and the GVA are vodka producers in Finland, who claim that Diageo previously agreed to the revised definition, The Times said.
Diageo is to launch a national advertising campaign for its gin band Tanqueray in the US....
Diageo is looking to change the image of one of its flagship brands in Colombia....
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Maxxium Global Travel Retail is to enter the US duty free market on 1 July 2005, when it will take over responsibility for the brand portfolios currently represented by Future Brands Duty Free and DFD...
Allied Domecq and Pernod Ricard have both been downgraded....
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
E&J Gallo has announced a number of appointments within its European division....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- PepsiCo to consider more re-franchising - CEO
- Pernod's Portman Group penalty - a coincidence?
- Cleaning China's seedier side brings Remy balance
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- Remy posts Q1 sales drop as Edrington loss bites