INDIA: Diageo makes further progress with Indian expansion
Diageo has confirmed the timing of the launch of its domestic wines in India.
Speaking to just-drinks today (3 August), Diageo said that it plans to launch its domestic wines by the end of September.
The news coincides with the company's announcement of a new distribution deal with Shoprite Hyper stores as part of its expansion across the country. The company is also in talks with other retailers across India, having secured a tie-up with the retailer Reliance Fresh late last month.
A spokesperson for the company confirmed that "We are talking to other retailers, although nothing is confirmed yet."
Diageo India's managing director Asif Adil said: "The tastes of the modern Indian consumer are constantly evolving. We have some of the best brands in the world and have always aimed at providing consumers with the best experiences and brands. This tie-up with Shoprite Hyper is another step in that direction, and we are extremely excited by this."
Blossom Hill red and white wines will retail between INR700-800 (US$17.38-19.87). Whereas Blossom Hill varietals like Chardonnay, Colombard Chardonnay, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Shiraz will retail between INR900-INR1000. Guinness and Kilkenny beer will be available in 440ml cans within the INR250-INR280 price range.
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
The head of Vin & Sprit's spirits division has said that the current global economic uncertainty should not affect the unit in 2008....
The Swedish government is considering keeping a stake in soon-to-be-privatised spirits producer V&S, local reports have suggested, while speculation is also growing that the sale price could fall due ...
Vin & Sprit is toasting a record year for its Absolut Spirits division in 2007....
The head of Diageo has played down fears that the drinks company could be negatively hit by ongoing uncertainty on the world's stock markets....
Foster's Group has promoted its former finance director for Australia, Asia and Pacific to the role of chief financial officer....
Vin & Sprit has declined to comment on claims that it would prefer Swedish investment company Investor as its future owner....
Diageo has entered into a deal to acquire Californian winery Rosenblum Cellars....
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Britvic's H1 Performance by Region - Focus
- Alcohol and the risk of breast cancer - ISFAR
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- SABMiller issues currency alert as Africa weakens
- Diageo names Javier Ferran as new chairman
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends