S KOREA: Diageo loses import licence
Diageo has had its import licence cancelled in South Korea.
The drinks giant confirmed yesterday (26 June) that the tax authorities had made the move in light of dealing with unlicensed wholesalers in the country, and not because of tax irregularities, as was previously believed.
As well as losing its licence to import into the country, Diageo Korea was stung by a KRW290m (US$312,615) fine.
"We deeply regret that a small number of our employees have engaged in improper transactions with unlicensed wholesalers, in violation of our company's policies and the conditions of our license,' the company said, adding that, while it acknowledges responsibility for past mistakes, "we believe that the cancellation of Diageo Korea's license is a very severe penalty, which will have a disruptive and costly impact on our business".
Supply of Diageo's products should not be affected by the cancellation, however, as the company plans to use an independent third-party distributor.
"Diageo Korea will apply for a new import license as soon as it is permitted to do so," the company concluded.
Earlier reports in the country has suggested that Diageo was under investigation for tax evasion, an allegation the company denied at the time.
China's entry into the WTO has been a catalyst for further growth in imported spirits but the likes of Diageo and Pernod Ricard are not the only ones eyeing the growth potential. Counterfeiters are al...
Carlsberg has played down reports that it has backed out of the auction for Vin & Sprit....
Carlsberg has admitted that it is "considering" its position on the pending auction of Vin & Sprit....
Diageo has hit back at criticism that its responsible drinking campaign, currently running on UK television, is actually glamourising excessive drinking....
Diageo has unveiled an extension of its Bushmills Irish whiskey stable, to coincide with the first global advertising campiagn for the brand....
Diageo North America is offering a special gift option for the Johnnie Walker Blue Label ultra-premium Scotch whisky brand, which will allow consumers to have a custom engraving on the bottles....
The Swedish government has decided to sell Vin & Sprit by auction, with cash appearing to be the deciding factor....
Pernod Ricard has kept quiet over speculation that it plans to buy a Ukrainian vodka brand....
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets