SCOTLAND: Diageo lobbies against drinks offers ban
Diageo has requested that authorities in Scotland review a proposed ban on drinks promotions, according to local reports. The Scotsman said yesterday (10 May) that the drinks company has branded a proposed ban by the Scottish Executive on two-for-one and cheap second measure offers as being "over the top."
"We support the principle that deep discounting is irresponsible," Diageo's government affairs director Tim Rycroft told the paper," but banning any discount on additional measures is going too far."
Scottish ministers are keen to ban free and discounted second measures in an attempt to clamp down on what they call "irresponsible drinks promotions."
"We are very firmly of the view that … giving people an extra measure on their drink is effectively encouraging people to drink more that they ordinarily would," an Executive spokesman told the Scotsman. "It is this which causes many of the problems we see in our communities today."
"Irresponsible promotions create incentives to speed drink, or to drink alcohol above the recommended daily intake," Rycroft said, "and we don't think all price promotions necessarily do that."
In a written submission to Ministers of the Scottish Parliament, Diageo warned that a ban on cheap second drinks would "restrict unnecessarily the commercial freedom of responsible licensees."
Diageo is to launch a national advertising campaign for its gin band Tanqueray in the US....
Diageo is looking to change the image of one of its flagship brands in Colombia....
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
Diageo is poised to cut back its presence in Germany, according to local reports....
Heineken has acquired a 40% stake in a Chinese brewery....
Spanish beer maker San Miguel has launched the new San Miguel 0.0% Apple to continue expanding in the country's booming market for alcohol-free brews....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends