UK: Diageo lines up temp Scottish site closure
Diageo has confirmed that it will temporarily close one of its facilities in Scotland later this month, as a result of the economic downturn.
The company confirmed to just-drinks today (3 March) that its packaging site in Kilmarnock, which handles the Johnnie Walker Scotch whisky brand, will close for one week this month and one week in April.
The closure is a consequence of the "current economic downturn and in line with our update on performance and outlook issued in February", Diageo said.
"All employees have been fully briefed and employees at the site have the option to take paid leave, unpaid leave or banked hours for the week in March and for the week in April employees will be required to take annual leave," the company added.
"We will continue to work closely with employee representatives and communicate regularly with our employees during these difficult times."
Last month, Diageo confirmed it was considering cutting jobs as part of a cost savings programme designed to save up to GBP100m (US$142m) annually.
The company, which at the same time reported 18% rises in net sales and profit for the second half of 2008, said it plans to implement the cost savings programme in its fiscal second half 2009.
Yesterday (27 August), Diageo reported its full-year results. Although the company managed to hit its full-year guidance, the group's warning that this year will be tough suggests that Diageo has its ...
Read our list of high-profile consumer boycotts, in our weekly just the facts....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
The long-running discussions between the world's largest spirits maker, Diageo, and India's United Spirits over a possible stake purchase collapsed this week. Michelle Russell examines the fallout....
The head of Diageo has warned that the offer of public funding alone will not be enough to reverse the company's decision to cut a net 500 jobs in Scotland....
Global drinks giant Diageo has appointed ex-co CEO of Kraft Foods Betsy Holden to its board....
Diageo has warned of a tough 2010 after cost savings helped the drinks giant to hit guidance in its fiscal full-year, despite flat like-for-like sales and a fall in pre-tax profits....
Opponents to Diageo's plan to cut 10% of its workforce in Scotland have agreed on an alternative business proposal to present to the company, the Scottish Government has said....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Brewers of Europe recruits communications director
- US drives Cognac export turnaround - figures
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research