UK: Diageo lines up "biggest ever" Scotch investment
Diageo is to invest heavily in its Scotch whisky operations, as well as build a new distillery in the country.
The move comes as Scotch Whisky demand is rising for the company in markets such as Brazil, Russia, India, China and Mexico.
The drinks giant, which posted an 8% rise in operating profit for the last six months of 2006 today (15 February), has said that it will spend GBP100m (US$195m) on expanding its operations in Scotland.
The investment is, according to Diageo "one of the biggest ever in the industry". Of the GBP100m, around GBP80m will be spent on expanding capacity in malt distilling and grain distilling, with the remaining GBP20m going towards packaging and warehousing.
Diageo said it will build a new malt distillery in the north of Scotland, with Roseisle on Speyside being the preferred location.
The company will also expand its Cameronbridge grain distillery in Fife. Bottling capacity at the company's Shieldhall packaging plant in Glasgow will be increased and warehousing capacity will be extended in central Scotland.
This is a significant investment," said Bryan Donaghey, managing director of Diageo Scotland. "It underpins our commitment to Scotland and the long term growth and sustainability of our Scotch whisky business. We see very encouraging growth in our Scotch whisky brands. Expanding our capacity now will help us meet demand well into the future."
Subject to planning consents, Diageo hopes to begin construction on the new distillery later this year with the facility opening in early 2009. The first mature spirit from the distillery would subsequently be available from 2012.
In spite of the news that the Indian government has once again eschewed tariff reform, Richard Woodard sees plenty of export growth potential for Scotch whisky, both in emerging and established market...
Pernod Ricard's annual results briefing last week suggested the company has consigned the Allied Domecq deal to history. No more talk of bedding down and integration. The emphasis was firmly on the fu...
Diageo has confirmed the timing of the launch of its domestic wines in India....
The Boston Beer Company is to buy a brewery from Diageo in the US....
Radico Khaitan has posted a slight dip in net profit for its latest quarter....
Bacardi has trumpeted its US$250m cash injection into Dewar's Scotch whisky as one of its largest single brand investments in its history....
Spirits imports into China posted dramatic gains in 2006, rising by 36.5% to 3.5m nine-litre cases, according to the latest findings from The IWSR Drinks Record....
Bacardi has lined up a massive investment behind its Dewar's Scotch whisky brand....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research