UK: Diageo launches travel retail malt whisky
Drinks giant Diageo is launching a single malt Scotch whisky in travel retail, designed to encourage new drinkers into the category.
The Singleton of Dufftown, priced at GBP24.99 (US$47.25) for a one-litre bottle, is initially to be sold through airports in London, Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Nick Morgan, Diageo's marketing director for malt whisky, said that, if successful, it could be rolled out into other European markets.
Morgan said Dufftown had been chosen for its approachable taste and history. "We felt that Dufftown was ticking all the boxes," he said.
The move follows Diageo's launch of the Singleton of Glen Ord in Asia earlier this year. "Dufftown is a single malt whisky that's aimed mainly at potential single malt drinkers who don't know a great deal about the category," said Morgan.
Diageo CEO Paul Walsh has today (15 February) praised the company's "strong start to the year" after the UK drinks giant posted rising first-half sales and earnings....
Diageo is to invest heavily in its Scotch whisky operations, as well as build a new distillery in the country....
Diageo Chateau and Estate Wines is introducing a new Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand to the US market....
Diageo has unveiled a website for flagship Scotch whisky brand Johnnie Walker....
Diageo has averted industrial action at its Crown Royal distillery in Canada. Diageo North America reached an agreement with workers at the site in Gimli, Manitoba to avoid a strike scheduled for toda...
Diageo is set to make a concerted move into interactive marketing with the launch of its latest ad campaign for Guinness in the UK....
Independent Liquor has lined up a new chief executive to lead the New Zealand company following its sale to a private equity firm late last year....
The International Center for Alcohol Policies has appointed a chairman and vice-chairman....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Absolut rebound paints rosy picture for Pernod
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends