US: Diageo launches legal action over alleged Ketel One "copycat"
Diageo has a 50% equity interest in the brand
Diageo has filed a lawsuit against the owner of Dutchcraft vodka as it alleges the company has tried to copy the packaging of its Ketel One brand.
In a statement, Diageo claimed that Arcadia Imports, the firm behind Dutchcraft, is “deliberately trying to confuse consumers by packaging their vodka in a copycat bottle with imitative labeling”. Guy Smith, Diageo North America's executive VP, said: “Ketel One is taking appropriate legal action and will vigorously defend its legendary bottle and label from deceptive trade practices such as these.”
Arcadia Imports, based in Plainville, Connneticut, has yet to respond to an emailed request for comment from just-drinks.
Diageo currently has a 50% stake in the global rights to Ketel One having signed a deal with the Nolet family in 2008. Around a year ago, then Diageo CEO Paul Walsh told just-drinks a full takeover of the brand remains unlikely.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read comment pieces by just-drinks' editor, Olly Wehring, ...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read analyses on just-drinks in 2014....
Diageo is spending around GBP2m (US$3.1m) on a fresh UK push for its Gordon's gin brand with the creation of a new character....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends