UK: Diageo launches Jose Cuervo Platino Tequila
Diageo has launched a premium silver Tequila, Jose Cuervo Platino, in the UK as the market for the Mexican spirit continues to grow.
Diageo Great Britain said this week that it would back Jose Cuervo Platino with a GBP250,000 (US$431,000) marketing spend, in order to publicise the brand across the trade.
The Tequila, which has been launched for on-trade, was voted the world's best silver Tequila in a blind tasting conducted by the Beverage Testing Institute in the US.
Diageo said the UK Tequila category has continued to grow this year, despite the economic downturn. It said Jose Cuervo was leading the on-trade growth with value sales growing by 24% against other on-trade Tequila.
In the US, Jose Cuervo Tequila has continued to struggle - down by 5% in sales terms - against the growth of the ultra premium Tequila segment in North America, Diageo said in its full-year results announcement in August.
Its new Platino version has been devised by Francisco Hajnal Alfaro, who is director general of the Mexican Tequila Academy.
He said Platino's premium quality came from the fact that it was sourced from blue agave plants between 10 and 12 years old, and was completely handmade.
Alfaro described Platino as slightly spiced, with hints of apple and vanilla on the nose, and with a long finish. The Tequila will have a recommended price of around GBP55-60.
Yesterday (1 April) signalled both an end and a beginning for Maxxium, the global sales and distribution joint venture created by Beam Global Spirits & Wine, The Edrington Group and Remy Cointreau in ...
New guidelines have just been introduced by the European Forum for Responsible Drinking (EFRD) regarding online media. However, while the guidelines enhance the self-regulatory framework of the spirit...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Diageo Great Britain has launched a TV advert to mark the 250th anniversary of Arthur Guinness signing the lease on the St James's Gate brewery in Ireland....
East African Breweries (EABL) has confirmed that it will cut "several" jobs within the company in the coming weeks....
Indian spirits firm Radico Khaitan has said that it is appealing against a winding-up order on the company, issued by the High Court of Allahabad....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine is to launch a mulitmillion dollar advertising campaign for the Tequlia brand Hornitos....
Altamar Brands is to release a Tequila Ocho 2009 vintage in the US in time for the Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends