UK: Diageo launches Jose Cuervo Platino Tequila
Diageo has launched a premium silver Tequila, Jose Cuervo Platino, in the UK as the market for the Mexican spirit continues to grow.
Diageo Great Britain said this week that it would back Jose Cuervo Platino with a GBP250,000 (US$431,000) marketing spend, in order to publicise the brand across the trade.
The Tequila, which has been launched for on-trade, was voted the world's best silver Tequila in a blind tasting conducted by the Beverage Testing Institute in the US.
Diageo said the UK Tequila category has continued to grow this year, despite the economic downturn. It said Jose Cuervo was leading the on-trade growth with value sales growing by 24% against other on-trade Tequila.
In the US, Jose Cuervo Tequila has continued to struggle - down by 5% in sales terms - against the growth of the ultra premium Tequila segment in North America, Diageo said in its full-year results announcement in August.
Its new Platino version has been devised by Francisco Hajnal Alfaro, who is director general of the Mexican Tequila Academy.
He said Platino's premium quality came from the fact that it was sourced from blue agave plants between 10 and 12 years old, and was completely handmade.
Alfaro described Platino as slightly spiced, with hints of apple and vanilla on the nose, and with a long finish. The Tequila will have a recommended price of around GBP55-60.
Yesterday (1 April) signalled both an end and a beginning for Maxxium, the global sales and distribution joint venture created by Beam Global Spirits & Wine, The Edrington Group and Remy Cointreau in ...
New guidelines have just been introduced by the European Forum for Responsible Drinking (EFRD) regarding online media. However, while the guidelines enhance the self-regulatory framework of the spirit...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Diageo Great Britain has launched a TV advert to mark the 250th anniversary of Arthur Guinness signing the lease on the St James's Gate brewery in Ireland....
East African Breweries (EABL) has confirmed that it will cut "several" jobs within the company in the coming weeks....
Indian spirits firm Radico Khaitan has said that it is appealing against a winding-up order on the company, issued by the High Court of Allahabad....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine is to launch a mulitmillion dollar advertising campaign for the Tequlia brand Hornitos....
Altamar Brands is to release a Tequila Ocho 2009 vintage in the US in time for the Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Is sustainability now as important as financials?
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts