UK: Diageo launches baijiu brand Shui Jing Fang in UK
Click through to view an image of Shui Jing Fang
Diageo is launching its premium baijiu brand, Shui Jing Fang, into Europe with its debut set for the UK market.
The white spirit will initially be available in Chinese restaurants, supermarkets and high-end shops, such as Harrods, but not bars in the country. It will retail at GBP115 (US$179) for a 50cl bottle.
However, Diageo, which has a 53% stake in Shui Jing Fang holding company Quanxing, hopes the drink will be in on-trade outlets "within three to five years", Neil Cao, the firm's international business director, CWS, told just-drinks yesterday (3 July).
Shui Jing Fang, is also due to be launched in Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland and Germany, following the UK roll-out.
Asked by just-drinks why the drink was being launched now, Cao said: "We have always been looking at it, but now is the right time. It's a unique product and people here (in the UK) are interested in trying Chinese products."
The brand's initial target will be the Chinese community and tourists, but Cao said he would eventually like to see it regarded in the UK in the same way as other spirits categories, like whisky and vodka.
He also suggested Shing Jing Fang could be used as a cocktail ingredient. "It won't be long before you see that," Cao said.
Earlier, during a launch event held in London, Andrew Cowan, Diageo GB's country director, told guests that the roll-out offers a "significant opportunity in the UK".
He also suggested there would be a "spike" in sales of the product during this month's Olympics, thanks to the high number of overseas visitors expected in London.
Looking ahead, he added: "We will look to educate Western consumers in the long-term."
Shui Jing Fang will be distributed in the UK by specialist Oriental food wholesaler, SeeWoo.
The penultimate part of just-drinks' review of 2012 looks at a tumultuous year for the wine category....
Hats off the Sunday Telegraph for breaking the story today (9 December) that Diageo has been sniffing around Beam Inc....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2012....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are just-drinks' ten favourite quotes in 2012....
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- This week in spirits & wine
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts