US: Diageo invests $18m in Illinois bottling facility
The new facility, which will have additional processing and storage capacity and upgraded packaging lines, follows on the heels of Diageo's purchase of 36 acres of land adjacent to the facility in July 2007 for $13.9m.
The Plainfield expansion follows a number of global investments Diageo has made in recent months to capitalise on consumer growth for premium spirits products, including $1bn to construct a new Guinness brewery in Ireland, building its first new malt whisky distillery in Scotland and announcing an agreement in principle to acquire the Schenley Distillery and Bottling operation in Canada.
"In this time of economic uncertainty, we are pleased to make another significant investment in one of our key manufacturing facilities and simultaneously bolster Plainfield's local economy," said John Council, president, Diageo, Americas Supply. "With more than 300 Diageo employees working in the state of Illinois, we are committed to giving back to the communities in which we live and work and this investment is a further testament to that."
Diageo's Plainfield brand technical and bottling facility, located just outside Chicago, produces around 12 million cases of spirits a year.
Diageo, a company that most people cannot pronounce correctly, has pulled off a sizeable coup by winning a major popularity contest among its UK business peers....
Neither economic gloom nor the presence of an illustrious neighbour appear to be overshadowing Armagnac, France's less well known brandy denomination. Chris Losh found the region's producers to be in ...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Cobra Beer is circulating a sales memorandum to potential buyers, declaring its willingness to split its UK and Indian businesses, sources close to the situation have confirmed to just-drinks....
Central European Distribution Organisation, the wine and spirits group, has said it has signed a deal to refinance its short-term debt, enabling it to continue investing in key growth markets....
Drinks Americas has said it has signed a 15-year distribution deal in Germany with local firm Zwilichiovskij Import-Export....
Diageo has recruited Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton alongside rival Mika Häkkinen for anti-drink drive campaign in the UK....
French wine and spirits group Belvedere has reported a 22% revenue rise in the first nine months of 2008, but warned that it was likely to miss operating profit targets....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends