INDIA: Diageo introduces Captain Morgan rum
The launch is the latest move from the UK-based drinks giant to bolster its product offering in India.
Santosh Kanekar, marketing director for Diageo India, said: "The taste of this spiced gold rum, the first of its kind here, is sure to take India by storm."
Diageo has been busy upping its presence in India since last year's tie-up with local spirits group Radico Khaitan to develop Indian Made Foreign Liquor (IMFL) brands.
In January, the company launched a "super-premium" Smirnoff variant, Smirnoff Black No. 55, to tap into growing demand for high-end spirits among India's ever-wealthier middle classes. Last September, Diageo launched Shark Tooth, a mainstream vodka aimed at male consumers.
Diageo officials were unavailable for further comment on the launch of Captain Morgan as just-drinks went to press.
The Scotch whisky category is booming globally thanks to demand in Asia and the BRIC countries, particularly for blends, but mature markets in Europe are proving more sluggish. In this month's Just th...
Acquisitions have transformed CL Financial from the owner of one very famous but small-scale bitters brand into a player on the world spirits stage. Having recently shored up two contrasting acquisiti...
It takes a brave man to question the assumptions of a business that, to all intents and purposes, is riding the crest of a wave, but that is what happened in Scotland this month, Chris Brook-Carter re...
Davide Campari-Milano is hoping to feed off scraps from the potential sale of Vin & Sprit, according to a recent interview....
Diageo has completed the first stage in its Scotch whisky investment programme....
Diageo has announced changes to its board of directors....
Global drinks force Diageo is backing the "We Don't Serve Teens" campaign, aimed at reducing teen access to alcohol, as it rolls out in Arizona....
Diageo has declared that this week's US interest rate cut would give a boost to consumers, but there had been minimal impact from any slowdown on its drinks, according to reports....
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends