TURKEY: Diageo hopes new alcohol laws are "workable"
Diageo is still looking to talk to the Turkish authorities over the new laws
Diageo has said it wants to work with the Turkish authorities to ensure the country's new alcohol laws are "workable" and "effective".
The restrictions include a ban on alcohol advertising, stopping drinks companies sponsoring events, restricting where drinks are sold and consumed in the country, and forcing producers to include health warnings on packaging. Turkey's President Gul signed the alcohol bill into law "a few weeks ago", after it was passed by Parliament last month.
However, just-drinks understands the restrictions are not yet in force in Turkey and it could be "some time" before they are enacted.
In a statement to just-drinks today (25 June), Galip Yorgancioglu, Diageo Turkey's MD said: "While we remain disappointed at the lack of industry engagement earlier on in the legislative process, we now look forward to more extensive consultation with the relevant Turkish authorities to ensure that each component of this proposed law is both workable and effective."
Diageo acquired domestic spirits producer Mey Icki for US$2.1bn in August, 2011.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2013....
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are just-drinks' ten favourite quotes in 2013....
The world’s leading spirits producer, Diageo also ranks 23rd in the global wine market. This profile analyses the role of wine in the company’s wide-ranging alcoholic drinks operations, considering op...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read analyses on just-drinks in 2013....
Some interesting developments have been occuring within the Vodka category since the publication of our previous global market review of the category....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets