GLOBAL: Diageo hits FY guidance, warns of tough year ahead
Diageo has warned of a tough 2010 after cost savings helped the drinks giant to hit guidance in its fiscal full-year, despite flat like-for-like sales and a fall in pre-tax profits.
Net sales for the 12 months to the end of June were flat against the year before on a like-for-like basis, with like-for-like volume sales down 4%, as the global economic downturn put the stoppers on growth.
But, lower media rates and reduced operating costs in general enabled the group to increase like-for-like operating profits by 4%, meeting the lower end of its full-year guidance.
Net profits for the year rose to GBP1.72bn (US$2.8bn), against GBP1.6bn a year earlier. Before tax, profits fell to GBP2bn, against almost GBP2.1bn last year.
"This has been a very challenging year," said Diageo CEO Paul Walsh. "We took action quickly to manage these difficult times, reducing our cost base and refocusing marketing spend as consumer trends changed."
Among Diageo's major brands, Johnnie Walker and J&B Scotch whisky and Baileys were worst hit during the year, suffering from destocking, particularly in the US, Spain and Russia. Tanqueray Gin and wine also had a weak year.
Walsh said Diageo expects lower single digit like-for-like operating profits growth in fiscal 2010.
"While the global economy appears to be stabilising, there is still uncertainty as to the sustainability and pace of any recovery and F10 will be challenging, as we lap a strong first quarter and a reasonable first half performance this year," he said.
Diageo aims to save GBP120m annually from fiscal 2010, partly as a result of restructuring and job cuts in its Scotch whisky business.
For the full announcement, click here.
An update, following the company's results conference, appears here.
A further update, following a just-drinks interview with Diageo CEO Paul Walsh, will be posted tomorrow.
Yesterday (27 August), Diageo reported its full-year results. Although the company managed to hit its full-year guidance, the group's warning that this year will be tough suggests that Diageo has its ...
Pernod Ricard's share price has edged up after a set of resilient half-year results, but it all hangs on the next six months....
SABMiller and Diageo have agreed to settle a dispute between the two groups' brewing subsidiaries in Tanzania....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends