US: Diageo hits back at Brown-Forman in Tennessee whiskey row
Diageo claims the laws mirror the Jack Daniel's recipie
Diageo and some smaller distillers are backing moves to change legislation set last year that requires product that is designated as “Tennessee whiskey” to be aged only in new oak barrels. They claim Brown-Forman helped push through the laws, which closely mirror the Jack Daniel's production process, and want legislators to allow reused barrels.
Brown-Forman maintains that any further change would diminish quality and last week claimed the integrity of the category was “under attack”.
However, late yesterday (17 March) Diageo, which owns the George Dickel Tennessee whiskey brand, hit back, branding Brown-Forman's accusations “false”.
And, in a curious twist, the UK-based firm claimed to “defend the honour” of Brown-Forman's Early Times whiskey brand, a Kentucky Bourbon that is aged in reused barrels. “By their logic, Brown-Forman has deemed its own product inferior,” Diageo said.
The company added: “Diageo firmly believes a single company should not be able to unilaterally determine the definition of an entire category. At its base, it is anti-competitive and protectionist. Diageo supports a return to the flexibility that Tennessee whiskey distillers have had for the past 125 years, up until last year when Brown-Forman convinced the Tennessee legislature to define Tennessee whiskey as the Jack Daniel’s recipe.”
North American whiskies are finding increased global demand. In Brown-Forman's first-half results, released in December, Jack Daniel's grew underlying net sales by 10%.
Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018
Non-Scotch whiskies in aggregate represent an enormous and growing category, with Irish whiskey in particular showing real momentum. With over 100 data tables and unique insight, this new joint IWSR/j...read more
Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled...
Analyses of the leading companies in the alcohol industry...
Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalData...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review