SOUTH AFRICA: Diageo, Heineken, NBL JV approved
Diageo, Heineken and Namibia Breweries (NBL) have received the go-ahead for their joint venture. The three companies said on Friday that South Africa's competition commission has approved a joint sales, marketing and distribution venture in the country. Approval was granted on 2 March.
The move signals a battle for market share in South Africa, where SABMiller dominates, with a 98% stranglehold. Diageo and Heineken took an effective 28.9% stake in Namibia Breweries last year. NBL plans to brew Heineken in Namibia.
In a statement, NBL's chairman Sven Thieme said: "This decision sanctions the commencement of an exciting phase that will step up the remarkable growth of NBL's popular premium brands in South Africa."
The three companies are now in negotiations to finalise the terms of the joint venture.
"Namibia Breweries is already established as a major player in the growing premium beer segment in southern Africa, through a well-established portfolio of brands and excellent customer relationships. The company intends accelerating its expansion on the African continent as part of its growth strategy," the statement said.
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
Diageo is poised to cut back its presence in Germany, according to local reports....
Heineken has acquired a 40% stake in a Chinese brewery....
Heineken Espana is looking to invest heavily in a new plant in southern Spain....
Diageo North America has poached a senior executive from General Motors....
Carlsberg cannot compete with some of the larger global brewers when it comes to earnings, according to the Danish company's CEO....
Grupo Empresarial Bavaria is not looking to sell up, its president has confirmed....
The chief financial officer of Brau Union has resigned....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages