TANZANIA: Diageo hands spirits distribution to Serengeti Breweries
Diageo and subsidiary East African Breweries have transferred distribution of all spirits brands in Tanzania to Serengeti Breweries with immediate effect.
Diageo said it has switched from previous distributor Mohan's because its "long-term future lies with Serengeti Breweries" in Tanzania.
Patricia Ithau, managing director for East Africa Breweries (EABL), said: "The launch of our spirits brands in Tanzania is evidence that EABL and Diageo take this market seriously and will seek all opportunities to invest even further in the market to develop and grow the business here."
Diageo and EABL have appointed Stansalaus Theopil as the dedicated general manager for spirits sales in Tanzania.
Serengeti Breweries director Ajay Shah said: "We intend to make the necessary investments from warehousing to logistics that will eventually see us employing more people as a result of this new business."
Diageo, EABL and Serengeti are currently embroiled in a legal row in Tanzania with SABMiller and its Tanzania Breweries subsidiary. EABL owns a 20% stake in Tanzania Breweries but recently announced a deal to acquire a "substantial interest" in rival group Serengeti. SABMiller has secured a court injunction to block the deal pending an inquiry.
Diageo and EABL said today that the spirits distribution deal with Serengeti "is a separate matter from the ongoing arbitration regarding beer distribution and the two matters are therefore unrelated".
In this month's just the Answer, we sit down with Diageo's chief marketing officer, Andy Fennell, who assumed the post in September 2008. Fennell timed his promotion to almost coincide with the econom...
Gruppo Campari's first quarter results have added some blossom to those oft-cited green shoots of recovery....
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets