UK: Diageo H1 profit up, cuts full-year forecast
Diageo has reported an 18% rise in sales and net profit for its fiscal first half, but cut full-year guidance due to weakened economies in key markets.
Diageo said today (12 February) that net profit and reported net sales rose by 18% to reach GBP1.2bn (US$1.7bn) and GBP5.07bn respectively for the six months ended 31 December. Organic net sales rose by 3%, while organic volumes fell by 2%, compared to the same period last year.
A weaker economic outlook in key markets across Europe and North America led the drinks giant to cut its earnings expectations for the full-year, however.
CEO Paul Walsh said the firm expected organic operating profit growth of 4-6% full-year, down from its previously predicted 7-9% range. Organic operating profit rose by 6% in the first half, to GBP1.65bn.
"The global economic slowdown has affected business in the period and in November and December this impact was more pronounced," said Walsh.
He added: "Current economic trends indicate that consumer confidence will reduce further and the outlook for the second half is more difficult to predict".
Diageo's share price fell by nearly 6% at the start of trading on the London Stock Exchange today.
The group's earnings per share for the six-month period rose by 21% to GBP0.45, due to favourable exchange rate movements and a reduction in tax payments.
This month, Carolyn Panzer took up the position of corporate social responsibility director at Diageo, expanding her former remit as alcohol and responsibility director to cover all areas of Diageo's ...
The last few weeks has seen a large number of companies report their interim results, an opportunity to see whether the performance across a wide range of drinks companies from around the world suppor...
United Spirit's first quarter results this week might have one wondering what all the fuss is about with the current economic downturn....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Kirin Holdings has raised its full-year net earnings guidance by 5%, despite an 82% slide in profits in the first half of 2009....
Campari has seen first half profits boosted by lower spend on advertising and promotion, following a drop in media rates in several key markets....
The Company of Wine People has dropped Ehrmanns as its distributor in the UK, in favour of Percy Fox & Co....
Whyte & Mackay has confirmed that it is likely to cut its workforce by almost 15%....
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review