US: Diageo gives Guinness push with 'Empty Chair' TV ad - video
Diageo has launched a new US TV ad for its stout brand Guinness.
The 'Empty Chair' spot, which premiered last night (13 July) during coverage of the FIFA World Cup, features a bartender pouring a pint of Guinness, seemingly for an empty chair. At the end of the one-and-a-half minute ad, it is revealed the pint is for a returning soldier.
"We wanted to create a story that captured a genuine emotion that can be felt by almost anyone," said Guinness brand director, Doug Campbell.
'Empty Chair' is the third spot in the US element of Guinness' global 'Made of More' campaign. It follows last year's 'Basketball' ad and a February spot featuring Olympian twin sisters Tracy and Lanny Barnes. The campaign's UK element included a TV spot featuring 'Sapeurs' - men who are part of a sub-culture in the Republic of Congo.
As part of the latest push, Diageo, through Guinness, is this month hosting more than 2,000 events around the US to support and celebrate the country's serving military.
Total spend on the campaign was not disclosed.
Earlier this month, Diageo confirmed it has scrapped its Arthur's Day celebrations for the Guinness brand in Ireland. A new music initiative called 'Amplify' has been lined up as a replacement event.
Yesterday's appointment news from Diageo has echoes of a similar HR switch at SABMiller two years ago - a question of perceived suitability....
SABMiller is to install Domenic De Lorenzo as its permanent CFO five months after Jamie Wilson resigned from the post....
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Sazerac poaches ex-Diageo government director