US: Diageo gives Guinness push with 'Empty Chair' TV ad - video
Diageo has launched a new US TV ad for its stout brand Guinness.
The 'Empty Chair' spot, which premiered last night (13 July) during coverage of the FIFA World Cup, features a bartender pouring a pint of Guinness, seemingly for an empty chair. At the end of the one-and-a-half minute ad, it is revealed the pint is for a returning soldier.
"We wanted to create a story that captured a genuine emotion that can be felt by almost anyone," said Guinness brand director, Doug Campbell.
'Empty Chair' is the third spot in the US element of Guinness' global 'Made of More' campaign. It follows last year's 'Basketball' ad and a February spot featuring Olympian twin sisters Tracy and Lanny Barnes. The campaign's UK element included a TV spot featuring 'Sapeurs' - men who are part of a sub-culture in the Republic of Congo.
As part of the latest push, Diageo, through Guinness, is this month hosting more than 2,000 events around the US to support and celebrate the country's serving military.
Total spend on the campaign was not disclosed.
Earlier this month, Diageo confirmed it has scrapped its Arthur's Day celebrations for the Guinness brand in Ireland. A new music initiative called 'Amplify' has been lined up as a replacement event.
Yesterday's appointment news from Diageo has echoes of a similar HR switch at SABMiller two years ago - a question of perceived suitability....
SABMiller is to install Domenic De Lorenzo as its permanent CFO five months after Jamie Wilson resigned from the post....
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends