UK: Diageo GB pulls three drinks from UK
Diageo has withdrawn three drinks brands from the UK market.
The drinks giant's UK arm, Diageo GB, confirmed today (14 June) that it will cease production of Quinn's fruit ferment and the RTD brands Slate 20 and Archers Vea. The unit said the brands "have not met Diageo's stringent performance criteria", with demand being lower than anticipated.
"We remain passionately committed to delivering genuine innovation into the GB trade," said Elizabeth Finn, head of innovation at Diageo GB. "There are always risks you take with launching new brands, especially completely new types of products like Quinn's. However, innovation remains a hugely profitable area and has contributed over GBP1bn (US$1.97bn) of sales value over the last three years in the beer, wine and spirits category.
"We will continue to look at opportunities to increase this further."
Quinn's, an alcoholic drink made 100% from fruit, was unveiled in March last year as Diageo GB's biggest product launch for five years. The drink was backed by an GBP8.5m marketing campaign. Slate 20 hit the UK on-trade in the Autumn of 2005, before rolling out to the off-trade in early 2006. Archers Vea was unveiled in the first half of last year.
Rising raw material costs have been a feature of numerous companies' results over the past few months. As Jessica Harvey writes, some companies have been able to bolster themselves against this trend ...
Diageo has launched a sponsorship campaign for its Scotch whisky brand Johnnie Walker with professional golfer Jim Furyk....
Diageo has announced that it has produced its one-billionth bottle of Baileys Irish Cream....
Diageo is considering plans to brew its stout brand Guinness in India....
The chairman of Remy Cointreau has confirmed that the company is set to create its own distribution company in China and South-East Asia....
Speculation over the last year regarding the future of Vin & Sprit has failed to disrupt operations at the Swedish state-owned company, according to its CEO....
Diageo has launched its Guinness Surger unit in the US....
The privatisation of Swedish state-owned alcohol concern Vin & Sprit has been brought forward as an indirect result of the US sub-prime mortgage crisis, Swedish media has reported....
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review