UK: Diageo GB pulls three drinks from UK
Diageo has withdrawn three drinks brands from the UK market.
The drinks giant's UK arm, Diageo GB, confirmed today (14 June) that it will cease production of Quinn's fruit ferment and the RTD brands Slate 20 and Archers Vea. The unit said the brands "have not met Diageo's stringent performance criteria", with demand being lower than anticipated.
"We remain passionately committed to delivering genuine innovation into the GB trade," said Elizabeth Finn, head of innovation at Diageo GB. "There are always risks you take with launching new brands, especially completely new types of products like Quinn's. However, innovation remains a hugely profitable area and has contributed over GBP1bn (US$1.97bn) of sales value over the last three years in the beer, wine and spirits category.
"We will continue to look at opportunities to increase this further."
Quinn's, an alcoholic drink made 100% from fruit, was unveiled in March last year as Diageo GB's biggest product launch for five years. The drink was backed by an GBP8.5m marketing campaign. Slate 20 hit the UK on-trade in the Autumn of 2005, before rolling out to the off-trade in early 2006. Archers Vea was unveiled in the first half of last year.
Rising raw material costs have been a feature of numerous companies' results over the past few months. As Jessica Harvey writes, some companies have been able to bolster themselves against this trend ...
Diageo has launched a sponsorship campaign for its Scotch whisky brand Johnnie Walker with professional golfer Jim Furyk....
Diageo has announced that it has produced its one-billionth bottle of Baileys Irish Cream....
Diageo is considering plans to brew its stout brand Guinness in India....
The chairman of Remy Cointreau has confirmed that the company is set to create its own distribution company in China and South-East Asia....
Speculation over the last year regarding the future of Vin & Sprit has failed to disrupt operations at the Swedish state-owned company, according to its CEO....
Diageo has launched its Guinness Surger unit in the US....
The privatisation of Swedish state-owned alcohol concern Vin & Sprit has been brought forward as an indirect result of the US sub-prime mortgage crisis, Swedish media has reported....
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Britvic appoints SABMiller's Dunn as CFO
- Q2 drags on half-year for Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research